The Nomads' Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Bye Bye Come the End of Summer

3 posters

Go down

Possible Bye Bye Come the End of Summer Empty Possible Bye Bye Come the End of Summer

Post by Ace Mcleod Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:53 pm

To spare you all the details of real life stuff that no one wants to hear about. I came to the realization recently that video games are having a big negative impact on my life. I just turned 20, and about 1/4 sometimes 1/3 of my time is spent sitting in a chair staring at a screen. At the end of summer when my membership runs out I'm strongly considering taking a long break from this type of game, maybe even all games. It's past time I stopped letting this consume me. A lot of you probably have a newfound hatred of me anyway as a result of recent events. Also this coming week it's unlikely you will see me online. I have things to take care of and can't allow myself to be distracted any longer.
Ace Mcleod
Ace Mcleod
Guard
Guard

Back to top Go down

Possible Bye Bye Come the End of Summer Empty Re: Possible Bye Bye Come the End of Summer

Post by Shabster Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:26 am

If I were you, I'd try not to get sucked into an all-or-nothing type mentality. You don't have to either be a game addict or never play. Your account his high leveled enough such that you can pretty much just do whatever you want, without needing to grind a ton anymore unless you want to achieve Coty status. You can dictate your own amount of play time easily at your stage in character progression. But if you feel like paying for membership isn't worth it without playing a lot, I can understand that. One option would be to quit grindy level-based games like RS and only play pure skill-based games. If you did this, then you wouldn't have to wonder whether or not you're wasting time by investing levels into a character that you might not care a lot for eventually (though personally I think it's almost impossible not to care about your RS character, unless the game becomes bad).

I think what you've done here is realize that you may not have enough time to play a lot of games in the upcoming year. You have developed a fear of not having free time, and you're afraid that you will get stuck in an endless loop of stress and boring homework without an escape. So to avoid this trap, you are spicing up your life by coming up with some new life philosophy about videogames and free time. Then it feels like you're choosing not to play the games rather than your life making that choice for you. In addition to avoiding the feeling of losing control, what you're doing will also help you feel less bored, because you subconsciously realize that it's less boring living in a busy life if you recently spiced up your life outlook. If there's no way to avoid being super busy, then I actually think changing your life outlook isn't a bad idea; just make sure you have a genuine belief in it, so you don't live through your life with doubts.

You don't have to worry about sparing us your real real life details. We're in the off topic section after all, and people who clicked on this topic probably want to know more about these details. You definitely don't have to share though, of course.

If you do leave OSRS for a while Ace, just know that you've been one of the most important members in clan history. When the clan was struggling, you were passionate about its purpose and helped inspire me that it could work.
Shabster
Shabster
Blue Dragon
Blue Dragon

http://site.google.com/site/nomadslight

Back to top Go down

Possible Bye Bye Come the End of Summer Empty Re: Possible Bye Bye Come the End of Summer

Post by Ace Mcleod Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:05 am

Well, honestly, my relationship with runescape is one of addiction. It has been since I first got sucked in around 2006. It's gotten to the point where it takes priority over more important things, and my grades show it. I don't trust myself to play in moderation. I feel I need to quit cold turkey for at least a little while to build up the strength to play responsibly. The good thing is it's not too late. I'm smart enough to know this isn't ok and nip it in the bud before it really starts causing problems.

I have considered moving to games like league and playing maybe 2 rounds per day just for fun.

The first step in solving a problem is recognizing there is one... since I can diagnose my own self I'm already ahead. Hopefully it won't take me long to get back in control and get my priorities straight.

Ace Mcleod
Ace Mcleod
Guard
Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Paragade Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:47 am

D: dont leave us ACE, we neeeeeeeeeeeeed you
Paragade
Paragade
White Knight
White Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum